Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Double Dosage of Depression Pt. 1

On the side of anger and happiness-dampening events over the weekend, in contrast with the Triple Threat of Happiness on Saturday, were two food-related incidents and a run in with an awful film. (Yes, I can count, and there are three events in actuality. But I have divided them according to the reason. The first two relate to food the other to film. So it is a division based on the genre of the events, not how many events there were.)

On Friday I ordered a vegetarian pizza from Debonairs and when it eventually arrived I discovered it had chicken on it. Thirty minutes later, almost 21h00 now, I get the right pizza delivered. I have never experienced any problems with Debonairs, this is the first. And being a vegetarian I can't just say "Oh hell" and eat the mistake anyway.

The other incident with food was Saturday night after Emily's birthday mini-party. For supper my gran had bought me a vegetarian cannelloni from Woolworths. I remove it from the packaging, puncture the film several times, and place it in the centre of the microwave on a microwaveable plate. Two minutes later, or however long it takes, I take it out, strip the film away, smell the delicious food, and think "Hmm good".

I settle in to eat it, cutting off a generous first bite. While chewing I wonder about what exactly they've put in the cannelloni. The packaging said the main ingredient was spinach. I swallow and am not quite convinved. I look down, and through the fantastic white sauce and layers of pasta I see mince meat. Brown, dead, animal flesh. A quick inspection of packaging of the actual meal, not the removable cardboard outer packaging that gets slipped over the meal, and I discover it is not a vegetarian cannelloni, but a beef cannelloni.

Now I'm flipping out. Not serial killer, screaming at the top of my voice, flipped out. But internal seething flipped out. Being as it's late, and the weekend, the customer service line is down, so I send an email explaining a bunch of stuff and what I expect of the company in compensation for my ordeal. (And yes I understand it seems overthetop, and I was definitely pushing the overthetop angle, because I really wanted whoever read that email to, hopefully, understand how upset I was.)

Luckily there were leftovers of a spinach quiche to eat.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment