Saturday, June 27, 2009

Triple Threat of Happiness

Presented today were three reasons for happiness.

The first reason presented itself when I woke up, eventually, and found two packages next to my bed. Two weeks ago I ordered several action figures off eBay, and my optimism regarding such things always suggests a fortnight wait before I should start expecting anything.

Despite people shipping from across the globe to Africa.

My optimism was rewarded. I hastily opened the packages and discovered Captain America, from the Marvel Universe line, and Duke, from the G.I. Joe: Resolute line (both produced by Hasbro, of course).

They are both excellent figures. Articulation is bounteous and varied on both figures. Duke comes with an assault rifle, a pistol, and a knife, but can't holster the pistol. He can't holster it because there is already a gun molded into the leg holster. This is disappointing, considering most of the figures in the recent G.I. Joe lines had open functioning holsters.

Captain America is packaged with his shield, and really, he needs no other accessories. He is the ultimate soldier and his weapon is his body, mind, and his unwavering patriotic spirit. Captain America is all kinds of awesome.

Second reason was the mini-party for my six-year-old sister's recent birthday. It was just myself, our mother, Emily's father, my aunt Jenny and her two kids, and our grandmother. I was not involved in the day at all, except to sing "Happy Birthday" to Emily and converse, but what made me happy was Emily interacting with my cousins.

They are several years older than her, but have known her almost since she was born. When my mother worked and we lived in Joostenbergvlakte she would leave Emily with Jenny and pick her up after work. So she spent a lot of time with my cousins.

Emily doesn't go to preschool, kindergarten for American readers, and has no one to play with on a regular basis. Instead her only playmates are the TV and her toys. She seems to cope alright with the solitude, but it still concerns me that she isn't around other children enough. She starts primary school next year, so I suppose she should enjoy the quiet time while it lasts.

The third and final happiness-inducing reason on Saturday was the phone call I got from Exclusive Books. After my interview with them on Thursday last week they liked me and wanted me to work for them. I was elated. The prospect of working in a book store is so exciting. Surrounded by books for several hours a day several days a week is a great prospect.

Getting paid is a great prospect too. Except it hardly crossed my mind to even ask how much the pay is. I am happy I am working. 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment