Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rock Ro-bot Rock

"In the words of the ancients, one should make his decision within the space of seven breaths. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break through to the other side."
--Ghost Dog, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

 "I like science fiction... don't look at me like that. People always do that, like it's completely unlikely."

"I'm sorry, but it is quite unexpected. Read anything by Arthur C. Clarke, maybe Fountains of Paradise?"

"Um, can't say for sure, I'd have to go home and check my bookshelf. All I can think about right now are my dance moves. My head is filled with that and nothing else. Let's talk tomorrow night, when it's all over!"

"Yeah, I'm holding you to that."

I feel a little like Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network, blogging about something that just happened and without much thought of the consequences, but according to the way of the samurai, as expounded by Forest Whitaker in Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, a samurai must always decide on a course of action and resolve to do it within seven breaths of having had the thought. I don't expect anything untowards, or positive, to come out of this blog post, but, if a couple of years from now, I am a huge success at something, then I'll have something to point at and say "See, that's where it all began."

Back to my little story of current events. I liked this one dancer in the show I was backstage for the past two nights. (I neglect to specify what kind of backstage job I did, as I did it all. 'Manager' would suggest I had someone working under me. This year it was just me, with some help from my previous assistant's sister. Overall just me though, which was no problem as the show was well organised, thanks to me and Daphne, and ran with no hitches.) She was blonde, beautiful, and surprisingly older than I thought she was. I'd liked her last year when I thought she was younger, but in more like an "Aw, she's cute, she'll definitely break hearts in two years' time" way not in like a "Wow, I'd like to get to know her better... intellectually" way.

So several small encounters later over the past four days, coupled with the knowledge she was a science fiction reader, had me thinking about her more, not entirely certain why I would think about her more than any of the other gorgeous dancers in the show. Tonight, after the show was finished, and a quick dip in the pool to get rid of all the sweatiness of all my hard work, I finally found out, while drying up after a great dinner, why I liked her, and thought of her: she had a boyfriend.

I seem to like the unattainable, often without even realising. This most recent incident-that-wasn't is a perfect example. Relieved to know my fascination with her was to be unfulfilled, I felt much better.

This post was typed out while listening to Ke$ha's Animal (Billboard Remix) track off her new Cannibal EP, but mostly Daft Punk's most recent album: Human After All.

No comments:

Post a Comment